Clean Air ScandMist Versus Centrifugal & Electrostatic
Oil Mist Technologies
ScandMist Compared With Old Technology
Machine tools are being pushed to run at ever increasing speeds with ever higher coolant delivery pressures, thus creating more and more coolant mist. Traditional mist collection systems simply can’t cope with these demands and allow the coolant mist to escape into the workshop atmosphere, taking other contaminants (such as fine swarf and bacteria) with it.
Any productivity gains that you expected to receive from your investment suffer as high performance machine tools are forced to run at less than optimum speed, as operators wait for the mist to settle before opening the cabin doors or reaching in to retrieve the work. Again, this is because traditional oil mist collectors cannot remove the mist quickly enough.
Clean Air ScandMist Is Different
Unlike centrifugal or electrostatic systems, ScandMist operates using high performance filters to ensure maximum filter life and efficiency levels in excess of 99.95%. Mist, swarf, bacteria and mold spores are trapped and the oil or emulsion can be returned to the machine tool for reuse. Maintaining a slight negative pressure in the cabin means that the doors can be opened almost immediately, without blowing contaminated air into the face of the operator.
Microscope View Of Clean Air ScandMist Technology
Fundamentally Different Technology
- Removes contaminants.
- Eliminates bacteria & spores, etc.
- Returns clean air to workshop.
- Extracts contaminated air.
- Retrofit of existing coolant mist control.
- Standard replacement unit.
New Deep Bed Filtration Technology
Deep Bed Filtration Technology Advantage
- Eliminates coolant mist (neat oil or emulsion)
- Removes harmful particles including bacteria
- No maintenance required – just read gauges
- Main filter life can exceed 2 years
- No filter cleaning required
- Reuse separated oil
- Speed up production process
- Simple & low cost to install
- Can be connected to several machines
- Reduces power consumption
- Exceeds International Health & Safety Standards
- Can be connected to several Machine tools
- Designed to work continuously
- Simple and low cost to install
- Cleaned air can be returned directly to production area
- Technology based on Fiber Bed Principle which is the most efficient on the market
- Various models available ranging from 400-50,000 cfm
Old Oil Slinger Technology
- Centrifugal mechanism only removes very large droplets and particulates.
- Relies on HEPA to filter out medium and small droplets and particulates.
- HEPA must be changed frequently – Intensive maintenance program must be implemented.
- Most Slinger units have over 50 wear items that must be maintained or replaced.
- Results: Low efficiency and expensive to operate.
- Centrifugal oil smoke mist eliminators cannot collect smoke or fine droplets. In fact, these types of units actually create fine droplets by breaking up large drops in the high energy acceleration process.
- Centrifugal mist collectors tend to have a very high siren-like screech.
- Centrifugal mist separators require frequent cleaning to remove accumulated mist and dust that causes impeller damage.
- Centrifugal oil mist collectors can have very high maintenance costs due to frequent cleanings that are required due to imbalanced impellers that cause machine tool vibration and loss of precision.
- Energy costs for Centrifugal compressor oil mist eliminators can be very high: 700-2100 watts needed to run the system.
Old Electrostatic Technology
- Old Electrostatic technology relies on clean collection plates for efficient filtration.
- Is only effective at low air flow not suitable for higher speed applications.
- Collection plates are coated extremely fast even in light mist applications.
- Requires an intensive maintenance program to stay efficient.
- The charged particles that get past the collection plates, because they are negatively charged, will then collect on walls, beams, machinery and electronics.